Note: When we reviewed this information in July of 2019, we were unable to locate any pages on Respiratory Therapy on the South Carolina Labor, Licensing and Regulation website, which is where information on RTs was previously located. Therefore, we were unable to re-verify that this information is accurate.
When does my license expire?
Respiratory licenses expire on May 31 of odd numbered years.
When and how can I renew my license?
Please contact the board for this information.
How many CEUs does South Carolina require?
You must have completed at least 30 hours of continuing education within the renewal period (June 1 – May 31 of two years after: for example, June 1, 2015 to May 31, 2017).
Continuing Education Sponsorship: Courses must be approved by one of the following organizations:
- American Association for Respiratory Care, or its sponsoring organizations
- American Heart Association
- The Society for Critical Care Medicine
- American Lung Association
- South Carolina Society for Respiratory Care
- Allied Health Education Centers of the South Carolina Consortium of Community Teaching Hospitals (AHEC)
- American Thoracic Society
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Accredited institutional continuing education programs:
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
- American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
Can I get all of my CEUs online?
As long as your courses meet the requirements above, you can get all of your CEUs online.
Are your courses approved by both the AARC and the South Carolina Respiratory Board?
Yes, our courses are AARC approved and therefore accepted by South Carolina for respiratory license renewal.
How much does my renewal cost?
According to the AARC, the fee for license renewal in South Carolina is $75.
Can I satisfy my CE hours though CPR, ACLS, PALS, or NRP courses?
- BLS Initial – 6 hours
- BLS Refresher (PHR/PHB BLS, etc) – 3 hours
- PALS Initial (2 day class) – 12 hours
- PALS Refresher – 6 hours
- ACLS Initial – 12 hours
- ACLS Refresher – 6 hours
- NRP Initial – 6 hours
- NRP Refresher – 3 hours
Board Contact Information
South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners
110 Centerview Dr
Columbia, SC 29210
The information contained in this document was as accurate as possible at the time of publication. It is possible that errors exist or that current license requirements have changed. We encourage corrections and comments and will make modifications accordingly. Neither the author, Respiratory Associates, nor any other individual or institution, except the person renewing their license, is responsible or liable for any consequences of its use. You are encouraged to read your state licensure requirements from the primary source, e.g. state website. If any of our courses are rejected by your state licensing authority our sole remedy will be a refund.