Respiratory License Renewal – Illinois

When does my license expire?

RT licenses expire on October 31 of odd numbered years.

When can I renew my license?

The holder of a license may renew with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) during the month preceding the expiration date by paying the required fee.

How do I renew my license?

See the Resource Links below.

How many CEUs does Illinois require?

Every renewal applicant shall complete 24 hours of continuing education relevant to the practice of respiratory care required during each pre-renewal period. A pre-renewal period is the 24 months preceding October 31 in the year of the renewal.

Can I get all of my CEUs online?

You can obtain all of your CEUs online. We offer both Live and Self-Directed courses. See our Discounts page for special offers.

Are your courses approved by both the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC) and the IDFPR?

Our courses are approved by the AARC and accepted by the IDFPR.

How much does my renewal cost?

License renewal is $100. An initial license is $120.

Resource Links

Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) – Respiratory Care (contact info on bottom of page)

IDFPR Online License Renewal

Illinois Respiratory Care Practice Act Continuing Education

Illinois Respiratory Care Practice Act

Illinois Respiratory Care Rules

Illinois Society for Respiratory Care

The information contained in this document was as accurate as possible at the time of publication. It is possible that errors exist or that current license requirements have changed. We encourage corrections and comments and will make modifications accordingly. Neither the author, Respiratory Associates, nor any other individual or institution, except the person renewing their license, is responsible or liable for any consequences of its use. You are encouraged to read your state licensure requirements from the primary source, e.g. state website. If any of our courses are rejected by your state licensing authority our sole remedy will be a refund.

Back to State CE Requirements